Home Print this page Email this page
Users Online: 448
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 6  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 1-5

A clinico-bateriological study of chronic dacryocystitis


Department of Ophthalmology, R N Misra Department of MicroBiology, Dr. D.Y. Patil Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre, Pimpri, Pune, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Khevna Patel
Dr. D.Y. Patil Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre, Pimpri, Pune - 411 018, Maharashtra
India
Login to access the Email id

DOI: 10.4103/1858-540X.138842

Rights and Permissions

Aim: This hospital-based study was conducted to identify common bacterial organisms and the antibiotic susceptibility of these organisms and to study the demographic profiles of patients with chronic dacryocystitis. Materials and Methods: A total of 100 patients above the age of 40 years were examined. Patients complaining of epiphora and nasolacrimal duct block on syringing were selected. Demographic factors such as age, sex, occupation and social status were recorded. Samples were collected by applying pressure over the lacrimal sac and allowing the purulent material to reflux through the lacrimal punctum, or by irrigating the lacrimal drainage system with sterile saline and collecting the refluxing material. Samples were sent for microbiological investigation and antibiotic sensitivity pattern. Results: One hundred patients were included in the study, of which the majority of patients were in the age group of 50-60 years (43%); female (52%) were more commonly affected. Majority of the patients belong to low socioeconomic status (64%) and majority were housewives (39%), and the left eye was more commonly involved (56%). All patients presented with epiphora (100%), and majority of them had mucopurulent regurgitant (71%) on sac-syringing. Of 100 clinical samples, 83% were culture positive and the remaining were reported as having no growth (17%). Among the Gram-positive organisms isolated, Staphylococcus aureus (41%) was the most common organism (1%). Most of the isolates of S. aureus were sensitive to ciprofloxacin (82.9%). Conclusion: It is important to know about microbial organisms responsible for chronic dacryocystitis as it is one of the important predisposing factors for postoperative endophthalmitis, especially due to the large volume of cataract surgery performed nowadays. Knowledge of common bacteria causing chronic dacryocystitis and their antibiotic sensitivity may help in deciding the appropriate antibiotic coverage for ocular surgery.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2917    
    Printed210    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded347    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal